Human Rights: Within The Temple
A great force for the cause not only of women but for the rights of all humanity, Eleanor Roosevelt distinguished herself throughout the world in spite of enormous drawbacks. This shy and plain child of a renowned beauty was orphaned at a young age and raised by spartan relatives, yet she became known as the First Lady of the World.
Marrying her distant cousin, Franklin, when she was nineteen, Eleanor devoted herself to social work and the rearing of five children. When her husband was paralyzed by polio, it was Eleanor's tremendous energy which encouraged him to stay in public life.
With courage, dignity and unwavering loyalty, Eleanor assisted Franklin throughout his terms as President of the United States while maintaining an energetic and independent public life of her own.
Upon her husband's death in 1945 she was appointed U.S. delegate to the United Nations. Archibald MacLeish said of Eleanor as she restored the nation to a sense of values, "things got simpler where she was. Good became good again-." Eleanor's life has served and will continue to serve as an inspiration for all women; indeed -- for all dedicated human beings.
1. Columns - Within the Lincoln Memorial. All columns are feminine symbols of the Great Mother.
2. Obelisk - Washington Memorial; the obelisk represents a ray of the sun; the tree of life.
3. Wreath - United Nations Symbol
Olive leaves - PeaceRed clover - Industry
White oak leaf - IndependenceHeliotrope - Devotion
Starwort - Welcome to a strangerWater willow - Freedom
Camomile - Energy in adversityThyme - Activity
4. Candle - Illumination; light in the darkness of life; the shadows have grown dim within this temple.
5. Pearls - The life giving power of the Great Mother; lunar; power of water; the embryo -- birth and rebirth; spirit; enlightenment; wisdom.
6. Color orange - Great vitality, energy.
7.Stars - Five pointed star upwards is aspiration; light; education; attributes of all Queens of Heaven; reflected stars symbolize truth.
8. Moon - The feminine power; cyclic time; perpetual renewal.
9. Crown - The radiate crown represents the energy and power contained in the head --the seat of the life-soul.